The bedroom that was to become our Master bedroom looked like it was in okay shape after the windows were replaced but the closet doors, mouldings and lights all needed to be redone. The floors were a recent addition and other than a couple of light switches there wasn’t a lot of major reconstruction. Being a Victorian home all the bedrooms had sitting / dressing rooms off them and since we didn’t need another like this the extra room was destined to become a walk in closet. This meant a couple of structural changes were needed; the archway needed to be extended to standard door height and the extra doorway into the sitting room needed to be replaced with a flat wall.
The great news was that other than the Air Conditioner all of this work could be done by Scott and I making it a highly affordable renovation. Couldn’t be more thankful for Scott’s DIY skills, this would have cost almost as much as the kitchen had we paid contractors.
We’d long since discovered it was easier to replace the plaster with dry wall than it was to repair poured Victorian plaster. So first of all the offending plaster came off.
And fresh new dry wall and doors went in
Scott again did all the floor and crown moulding. The intention is to make these mouldings fancier when we find a decent plaster restorer but we at least wanted to get to the point of having framing moulding throughout to finish the walls.
Here you can also see we painted the walls a flat grey; since I wanted to focus on monochrome fittings I wanted to makes sure that the walls were in theme without being too dark.
Then it was time to start buying furniture. I’d been buying gothtastic black and white items elsewhere in the house and here was the time to really make it a theme. Our old bed is all dark woods which matches the guest suite so we decided to leave it in those rooms and buy new monochrome items. This required finding a black bed which was suitable but lacked a sleigh bottom so the dogs could jump up and without the over the top roccoco themes of most goth beds. It was … not fast. You can also see here the special air conditioning units we had installed that are made to look like picture frames. I find that too many electronics in a Victorian home looks odd and so this is a nice way to hide the region units in plain sight.
Add a striped rug and dressing chair, some bedsite cabinets and lamps and the bedroom is mostly complete. Of course it usually looks a little something more like this, where Scott and I fight for bed-space but we love our little weirdos really.